- Knee pain is a common source of disability and compromise of quality of life secondary to wear and tear or injury of the soft tissues around the knee such as ligaments, tendons, and cartilage.
- With advanced osteoarthritis and wear and tear, knee pain could become very disabling, and the most effective solution in this situation is having total knee replacement surgery under the care of knee orthopaedic surgeons. This is considered major surgery and sometimes our patients are not fit enough to undergo such sort of surgery which leaves them in a difficult situation.
- If knee osteoarthritis is early with no immediate indication for surgery yet patients struggle with pain and pain killers are not very effective or if they are not fit to have surgery, what we offer our patients is a combination of rehabilitative program to strengthen muscle groups around knee along with interventions to ease the pain around the knee and help them engage better in their rehabilitative program.
- Injections range from direct steroid based injection in knee joint guided by ultrasound or numbing the nerves that supply knee joint called genicular branches with local anaesthetic using combined guidance of ultrasound and X ray as day case procedure and if this proves effective by giving patients good quality pain relief even for short period of time then we can ablate those nerves using conventional or cooled radiofrequency technology delivered to those nerves via needles placed close to them as day case guided by ultrasound and X ray to give our patients longer term pain relief to help them engage in their rehabilitative program and improve function and quality of life.
- Regenerative medicine via use of platelet rich plasma PRP and stem cells and Prolotherapy are relatively new areas of medicine and with carefully selected cases of knee pain their use could yield excellent results that ease pain and improve function around knee.